Computer Frustration PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 05 December 2006 16:00

A few weeks ago I decided to check into increasing my computer’s memory. At the same time I learned that I could also put an additional two year warranty on my laptop, not necessarily something I need, but something that someday might help me to avoid any grief. I have a (now) 1 year old Toshiba Satellite computer which I really like and Rick has my old one, also a Satellite, two years older and a little bigger. Both computers have never given us a moment of trouble and we are extremely happy with them.

In my classes I see a lot of computers and often my “students” ask me for my advice with regards to purchasing a new laptop. Because of my overall satisfaction with our computers I feel for the money, Toshiba offers one of the best machines on the market, hence I tend to sway folks in their direction.

Imagine my surprise to learn today that my order was canceled (without any notification) because I am using a “foreign” credit card. My “foreign” credit card is Canadian and I have used it successfully in Canada, the US and England with no problems at all. Because I am here, my credit card company has even obligingly added my US address to the card’s profile to make it easy for me to use it here. I have made several online purchases using my card with the US address and never been rejected before until now.

I have tried resolving this by purchasing the parts on the Canadian website but they don’t have them available and now my original warranty has expired so it’s too late to get the extended one. It seems Toshiba has no problem accepting my money when I buy their products at stores but they refuse to accept it online or over the phone. Am I just a little bit frustrated? You bet!

Rick took this picture of me on Monday with some of my “students” at our computer class. Trust me when I say, my classes are a lot less frustrating than dealing with the folks at Toshiba!