Learning The Hard Way PDF Print E-mail
Written by Susan Hollingshead   
Friday, 23 February 2007 11:00

feb 24-07.jpgYesterday I wrote about how I was loading all my pictures and journal entries from saved CD’s onto an external hard drive. In total it took me over seven hours to complete the task but now they are all easily accessible to me and in one place.

As a result of Jim’s death, my family can attest to the fact that I have become a pretty diligent picture taker and I certainly understand the value of a photograph. (Jim was always the photographer in our family and as a result we have very few pictures of him.)

As I organized everything I discovered to my horror and sadness that all my photographs from January 2004 and December 2004 are gone… somewhere in cyberspace. The good news is that there are some pictures on the webpage which I can save to my external hard drive and Rick has his pictures on his computer. The bad news is the pictures I had of the days leading up to and including Makai’s birth are gone; as are all of the pictures I took of our first month on the road. Now I am especially grateful for having a website where at least some of the pictures are stored and fortunately those are the only pictures missing.

Somehow in the process of saving them to CD I inadvertently missed those two months (which I erased after I thought I copied them) and I am angry at myself for being so careless. I have learned by this that it is important to have more than one copy of my digital pictures and I will be more careful in the future. I also understand the value of having a good place to store digital photographs and making them easily accessible!

Here is a picture of the RV storage yard here at Catalina, which like the rest of the park has a great view.