He's Home PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 17 November 2004 00:00

Last night I literally crashed from 11:00 until 8:00 AM this morning; I guess the lack of sleep over the past week finally caught up with me. Rachel and I had only been awake for half an hour when the phone rang. It was Jay, quite anxious to get home after a typical hospital night with a snoring roommate and the hustle and bustle of the nurses attending to other patients. He learned that he would be released later in the morning and he wanted to make sure we hadn't forgotten about him. We headed out to the hospital but we wanted to pick up some groceries on the way there at a local natural food store to replenish their supplies. Jay called to let us know he could leave while we were on our errands so we finished as soon as we could and headed over to Sunnybrook.

We brought him home along with a bag full of medical supplies needed by the homecare staff to attend to his incision over the next two weeks. Aside from feeling a little light headed from the Tylenol 3's he'd had earlier, he felt well and found that his pain was manageable. We settled him in bed and I pulled together a large pot of vegetarian chili, a comfort food of sorts to help nourish him after a day and a half of very little. After a short nap, Jay spent the afternoon laying back on a recliner and playing video games on the new Sony Playstation 2that he had received in his basket of goodies on Monday from his boss. Once the codeine wore off, aside from the inconvenience of the drains and the pain of the incision, he is doing very well managing his discomfort with ibuprophen.

I rescheduled my flight back to Vancouver for November 30th so I can assist Jay with things until he has his staples and drains removed and while Rachel is at work. He will have some adjustments to make while he heals and the homecare will only be in for a short while at a time. I can take him to his doctor's appointments and help him when he goes for short walks to strengthen his leg but I know it won't be long before he'll be back to his old self again. Smile