A Disease or A Gift? PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 22 November 2004 00:00

I am such an incredibly lucky person and it is ironic that it takes cancer in my child to really appreciate it. First I was married to a very talented teacher of life, Jim Seabrook, who, though I resisted his teachings while he was alive, I learned so much from. Through him, I conceived three wonderful children who have also grown to become my teachers and I am forever grateful. Jim also brought Rick into my life and with him I have found a partner, a lover and a dear friend. Rick has taught me compassion and kindness by being compassionate and kind.

Today, Jay and I went to his doctor's appointment at Sunnybrook with Dr. Wright. She is very pleased with the way his wound is healing and how well he is doing. She informed us that she had removed a total of 19 lymph nodes and that the biopsy results of the entire removed mass came back showing that the melanoma was also in another node. It was not what I wanted to hear but she said she was pleased that it didn't show up anywhere else other than the two nodes. We now realize how important it is that Jay keeps his immune system as strong as he can to keep the cancer at bay. On the drive from the hospital we were talking and he told me he views the melanoma as a gift! He said it has allowed him to step back to re-evaluate his life in order to make the changes necessary and he said that not many people have that opportunity. I was speechless.

I had initially seen the cancer as "the enemy" and everyday I am being taught that with an adjustment in perspective it is actually a gift. My boy is wise beyond his years and I am in awe of his wisdom. We have all been given a gift; through it I have uncovered a depth in my son that I wasn't able to fully appreciate before, I have developed a kinship with Rachel that the common love of Jay has cultivated, Rachel has come to realize the extent of her love for Jay and Jay has found the opportunity to take some time to discover himself. Who would have thought that a disease could have such a positive power? Undecided