A Day Out PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 26 November 2004 00:00

Yikes! This morning I woke up to a skiff of snow covering the grass and I remembered why we chose to winter in Vancouver this year. Last year at this time we had already had some very cold days and a lot of snow while we were living in the motorhome parked beside the house just before it sold. It has been cold here for the past week however; it is the warmest November on record so I should be grateful that I haven't had to deal with it sooner.

Rachel had booked the afternoon off today so we could take Jay out for a while and we decided to go downtown to Sprouts, a raw food restaurant on Bathurst. Both Jay and I enjoyed our meals, a new endeavour for us, however Rachel wasn't as enthusiastic. Raw, live vegetarian food is very nutritious and it is a way of eating that we are all learning about so it was nice to try it for the first time in a restaurant as opposed to something I was creating blindly at home.

Afterwards we headed to the Whole Life Expo at the Toronto Convention Centre where we met up with Ilene. There were booths covering everything from Thai Massage to Reflexology and vitamin supplements to organic foods as well as books and crystals, holistic practitioners and naturopathic doctors. Ilene kept wandering off alone and then she would return to us, always with some food in hand while we browsed through the various booths. We were able to borrow a wheelchair for Jay so that he wouldn't have to walk as his leg has been starting to swell some when he is on it for too long. We picked up samples and Jay, Rachel and I had our auras photographed. Rachel enjoyed a mini shiatsu massage while Jay indulged in a craniosacral therapy session.

When we got back, Bill and Laura came by with their leather lazyboy chair for Jay to borrow while he is recovering. Though it was nice for Jay to get out for a while, his leg was sore from not being able to keep it elevated and when we got home he had some ibuprophen for the first time in several days. I suspect Jay will really appreciate sitting back with his leg up in the lazyboy, a much more comfortable choice than the wing chair he has been using.