The Staples Come Out PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 30 November 2004 00:00

On Saturday night, some friends of Jay and Rachel's dropped over for a visit and while they socialized I made myself scarce and worked on my writing. When their friends left, it was evident to both Rachel and I that Jay was in pain. He shared with us that his leg was the sorest it had been since the surgery almost two weeks ago. After he took a couple of ibuprophen, he quickly retreated to bed but not before checking the incision and drain sites to see if he could detect any obvious signs of trouble. Through the night he developed a high fever but just took some more ibuprophen and hoped he would feel better by morning.

Sunday morning, after a restless night with little relief he finally told me how he was feeling and I called his doctor who advised him to start taking the antibiotics he had a prescription for. He had an appointment booked with her already for Monday morning and she moved up the time to 8:45 AM and suggested if things didn't improve to come into the hospital. He felt really "punky" all day and was running a low-grade fever, which was controllable with the administration of more ibuprophen. Last night, Rosanne sent some healing in his direction and Rachel applied some Reiki and by midnight, his fever had broken.

Yesterday, Dr. Wright removed his drains and staples and discovered the source of his problem; he had a slight infection in the incision. He will continue on the antibiotics and hopefully they will have the desired effect on the infection, however we have to go back to the hospital on Thursday for a check-up. If there is evidence that it is not clearing up, she will open up the incision to drain it and possibly re-stitch it. We were relieved to learn that it is very common (8 out of 10) for infection to occur in this type of operation and we were thankful that it wasn't more serious. Undecided